Posted on

Wolf Point Boys Down Glendive, 56-53, For Home Victory

After leading for most of the non-conference game, Wolf Point’s boys’ basketball team was suddenly behind, 53-47, when a three-point attempt by Glendive’s Shann McPherson rolled in with 2:16 remaining.

The outcome wasn’t looking good for the hometown Wolves, but Wolf Point battled back for a 56-53 win on Thursday, Jan. 12.

“These kids have heart,” Wolf Point’s Coach Cole Hanks said about the comeback.

After the three-pointer by the Red Devils, Hanks said he figured the Wolves needed a quick basket and a quick stop to keep their hopes alive. Both happened during a nine-second span. Kelby Bauer scored off a pass from Gaige Bushman with 2:05 on the clock. After Jack Kolstad came up with a steal, Bauer quickly made a great drive to pull the Wolves to 53-51 with 1:56 remaining.

A pair of free throws by Juliun Benson tied the game at 53-53. After Glendive was called for an offensive foul, the Wolves missed a threepoint try but a great save by Benson kept the ball in Wolf Point’s possession. Cade Stafne scored off a great pass from Bushman for a 55-53 lead with 50 seconds left.

After Bushman forced a turnover, the senior hit a free throw with 12 seconds left. The Red Devils missed two three-point attempts during the final seconds of action.

“There were a lot of big plays down the stretch,” Hanks said. “We were gritty when we had adversity. Our leadership showed through.”

Wolf Point’s top scorers were Benson with 18 and Bauer with 15 points. Also scoring were Bushman with seven, Kolstad with seven, Stafne with four, Peyton Summers with four and Michael Bell with one point.

Hanks noted that the Wolves hit only one three-pointer in the second half. “We had to find ways to make buckets and we did,” the coach said.

Leading the Red Devils were Michael Murphy with 11, Levi Easton with 10 and Kohbe Smith with nine points.

The Wolves came out red hot as they earned a 20-5 lead during the first quarter of play. Bauer and Kolstad each fired in two three-pointers during the quarter.

Glendive, using its superior height, responded with the first 10 points of the second quarter. The Red Devils tied the game, 24-24, on a three-point play by Murphy, a 6-7 senior, with 28 seconds left in the half.

A three-point play by Bushman put Wolf Point ahead 2724 at the half.

Wolf Point led most of the third quarter until Glendive struck for seven straight points. The Red Devils held a 44-39 advantage at the end of the period.

Free throws by Kolstad, Benson and Bushman closed the gap to 48-47 with three minutes left in the contest.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *