Posted on

Red Hawks Clinch First Place

The Froid/Lake Red Hawks clinched first place and remained undefeated in league play by knocking off Richey/ Lambert, 63-12, in Lambert on Friday, Oct. 14.

After the Fusion opened the game by driving inside Froid/Lake territory, the threat ended when Cody Olson recovered a fumble and returned the ball to the Fusion 37. Two runs by Austen Hobbs and two passes by Mason Dethman produced a first down at the one. From there, Hobbs scored with 5:38 left in the opening quarter.

The Fusion responded with a 65-yard scoring drive, which included a pass to Austin Lien that was good for a first down at the Froid/Lake 21. Sage Spinner then broke loose for a touchdown run and a 6-6 deadlock with 2:17 left in the period.

After Hobbs returned the ensuing kickoff all the way to the Fusion 16, the Red Hawks reached the end zone on a 14yard pass play from Dethman to Hobbs.

Dethman then recovered a fumble at the Fusion 10. Hobbs scored from the one to put the Red Hawks ahead 20-6 with 19 seconds left in the first quarter.

The Fusion turned the ball over on their own 12, and the Red Hawks quickly moved to the three on a pass from Dethman to Aidan Hernandez. Hobbs scored another touchdown to put the margin at 26-6 early in the second quarter.

After a fumble recovery by Caden Kelm ended Richey/ Lambert’s next drive, a 24yard pass from Dethman to Max Engelke was good for a first down at the two. On second down, Dethman passed to Hobbs for a 32-6 lead with 1:51 left in the half.

Richey/Lambert reached the end zone on a 70-yard dash by Spinner to close the margin to 32-12.

The Red Hawks ended the half on a high note when lineman Quinn Abar intercepted a short pass and pitched the ball back to Dethman, who ran in for a touchdown with two seconds on the clock. Dethman kicked the conversion for a 40-12 advantage.

The second half started with Hobbs returning the kickoff 76 yards for a touchdown. Dethman ran in for the conversion and a 47-12 lead.

After a safety increased the margin to 49-12, the Red Hawks drove to the one on a 30-yard toss from Dethman to Cian Logan. Nate Stentoft battled in for the touchdown. Dethman’s kick put the margin at 57-12.

The game’s final touchdown came on a 27-yard run by Joseph Robertson with 1:53 remaining.

The Red Hawks will end their regular season with a home game against Wibaux starting at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 22.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *