Posted on

James Bighorn

James Allen Bighorn, 66, died at Saint Vincent Hospital in Billings on Sunday, May 12, 2024.

He was born in Poplar on July 5, 1957, to Florence Mae Weinberger (Bighorn) and Ernest Clark Bighorn Sr. He was the baby of the family and he joined siblings Ernie, Jackie, Crystal, Sybil and Alda.

He attended school in Brockton and graduated in 1976. He enlisted in the Navy in 1977 and was honorably discharged in 1982. During this time, he married Feryl Greufe and they had one son, Luke Bighorn. They eventually divorced, but remained good friends.

After being honorably discharged from the Navy, he moved back to Poplar for a while and then moved to Minneapolis, Minn., where he worked for the Billy Graham organization. He worked for Billy Graham for seven years and, upon the death of his mother, Florence, he moved home to Poplar for a couple of years. He then worked as an over-the-road truck driver for Allied Van Lines and lived in Daytona, Fla., for a while.

He then started his 25-year career in law enforcement. He worked for the Fort Peck Tribes as a police officer, prosecutor and DARE officer. He also worked at Rocky Boy and New Town, N.D., as a criminal investigator.

At the time of his death, he was employed at the Thundering Buffalo Wellness Center as a security guard.

He loved the Denver Broncos and cheered them on through the good and bad times.

Throughout the years, he made his home with various family members: Maebelle Archambeau, Keith and Sunee Erickson, Iva and Ron Harris, Ernie Bighorn, Alda Bighorn, Sybil Bighorn, Jackie and Clinton Small.

Preceding him in death were his brother, George Bighorn; and four brothers not named.

He is survived by his only child, Luke Bighorn; one grandson; siblings, Ernie Bighorn, Jackie Small, Crystal Bighorn, Sybil Erickson and Alda Bighorn.

Most importantly he wanted his message of celebrating his life and the Lord to be carried on. He was adamant that grieving should be short and wanted everyone to know that he is in a better place and at home with his Lord and Savior.

His funeral service was held Saturday, May 18, at the Assembly of God Church in Poplar. Interment was at the Riverside Presbyterian Cemetery. Clayton Stevenson Memorial Chapel assisted the family with the arrangements.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *