Posted on

Trapping Licenses Available From FWP

Nonresident and resident trapping licenses are now available to purchase at a Fish, Wildlife and Parks office or online at https://ols.fwp.

To purchase a Montana resident trapping license, residents must complete a Montana trapper education course or have purchased a trapping license in at least three prior years (in Montana or another state). Residents must be at least 12 years old to purchase a trapping license. Youth 6 to 11 years old, must purchase a trapping license and are exempt from the requirement to take trapper education and are limited to what animals they can trap.

The course consists of an online component, an in-person field day and a written test. This general trapper education course also satisfies the Montana wolf trapper education requirement.

Nonresidents need to do one of the following:

•Provide a notarized affidavit on a form approved by the department listing the person's legal residence, including the state;

•Provide documentation that the person's resident state issues nonresident trapping licenses that allow Montana residents to trap the same species for which the person seeks to trap in Montana; or

•Attest on the affidavit that the person's resident state does not offer reciprocity for trapping the fur-bearing species the person seeks to trap in Montana because the species does not exist in the resident state.

To learn more about trapping, or to register for a trapper education course, go to

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *